Hospitals are the largest, high potential economically thriving and complex organizations where optimal healthcare is provided under adept supervision. Akin to other organizations, hospitals need to obtain good resources, channelize them effectively and monitor the smooth functioning of the system. Providing effective patient care is the cornerstone of success for any medical or healthcare establishment. Thus hospital executives gain prominence as people behind the overall functioning of these healthcare centers. Hospital executives lead organizations to fulfill the mission initiated and earmarked by the specific health care unit in a stipulated time period.
The major responsibilities of hospital executives:
- Ensuring that there are written policies that are adhered to at the work place
- Recruiting doctors to work at the facility
- Getting financing for new buildings and services
- Ensuring that the hospital passes inspections by the federal, state and local government organizations.
- Keeping the community informed about the latest activities and future plans to raise funds for new projects.
How to become a hospital executive:
Hospital executives have a significant role as they ensure the smooth functioning of hospitals and healthcare centers. Successful hospital executives have obtained master`s degree, often with a specialization in health care management. Aspirants seeking predominant role in the healthcare sector need not always have a clinical or medical degree. Hospital executives come from different backgrounds and most of them are non-clinical.
Some hospital executives have educational majors in law, business and a host of other disciplines. Most clinically trained individuals are promoted to managerial positions.
The team of important executives at a typical hospital and their designations:
Every hospital has a team of hospital executives that are responsible for the smooth functioning of the facility and the major roles are explored as below:
- Chief Financial Officer (Hospital CFO): The educational requirement is accounting or finance and CFOs manage and oversee the financial operations of the hospital.
- Vice President of Human Resources: Human resources are integral part of the administrative structure and VP of HR is responsible for hiring and administrative operations.
- Chief Information Officer or Chief Technical Officer – These hospital executives come with a background in information technology.
- Chief Executive Officer: The high ranking corporate medical officers like Hospital CEOs hail from different backgrounds that may include consulting, operations, medicine and more.
You may reach major decision makers with valid mailing lists for B2B campaigns from Confaab a trusted source of email databases.
Some Useful Tips to Climb Up the Career Ladder for All Hospital Executives:
Get healthcare experience: Gaining experience as healthcare consultants, medical officers can help aspirants on their way up the career ladder.
Education: Getting a bachelor`s degree is a mandate as most hospitals have listed it as one of the basic qualifications. A degree in administration, technology, human resources or social work is an added plus. Adding an additional degree like MBA, Master`s degree in healthcare administration and more can be an added advantage.
Professional Networking: Staying in touch with peers or past employer can be good for your career as professional networking helps you land the most ideal and lucrative job with minimal hassles. It is also ideal to boost medical job search and for executives positions across healthcare domains.
Geographic flexibility: Hospitals across different parts of the world are in need of hospital executives and flexibility to move from the comfort zone and explore new opportunities will pave way for better job prospects.
Enhance Executives Skills: Hone communication skills, management and decision-making skills to ensure that you are way ahead of your league and nothing hampers your growth.
Hospital administration is gaining popularity like never before and if you are even remotely considering it as a career option, investing in the above requirements should make it easy for you to work at hospitals, long-term care facilities and medical universities. Gain experience and fill jobs at government healthcare agencies or get employed at public health sectors to be a part of one of the fastest growing medical sectors.